Wednesday, February 13, 2008

back online


We moved from Oxford to Camden, and despite a week of lead time, BT still needed another week to send someone out to set up their shitty connection. Then, it didn't work. For the geeks: I was getting ping timeouts around 30%, and an average ping time of 80ms. There were plenty up to 800ms and 1000ms as well. The following picture should give you an idea...


btsucks.jpg


bt = sucks


...and this shitty level of quality went right out the window after 5pm at night, when you simply couldn't get on at all! So, I did a little snooping around and found out the following:


* all UK broadband carriers (except one) share BT's infrastructure


* my neighbor uses Talk Talk, and it's even WORSE than my BT connection


* there was a cable box in my office from something called "London Cable"


* London Cable bought out a company called Camden Cable which had laid fiber in Camden in the 1980s.


* London Cable in turn was bought by Virgin Broadband, who thus actually have an infrastructure alternative to BT's.


So, I switched to Virgin, the only non-BT broadband carrier I could find (or probably that even exists) and now I have "up to" 20 megabits per second download and ~700 kilobits per second upload. The "up to" seems pretty theoretical, since I seem to get anywhere from 8 to 17. But who cares?! I've got lots of bandwidth and so far, only a .05% loss rate. Now, I will resume my normal internet focused activities: the blog will get updated, photos added, songs posted, etc. This will also help me find better local shows so I can play new music on the radio show, AND I will actually be able to broadcast from the flat instead of having to haul my gear over to Kaysa's.


More to come soon!



Powered by Zoundry


share this via facebook

No comments: