Saturday, November 08, 2008

Regular Reading

In addition to various books, I read a lot of periodicals in a sometimes futile attempt to keep up with the pace of business, technology and politics.
Magazines
Here is where I get my more deeply considered opinions about the world. I subscribe to these in print form and read them at home or on the tube on the way to work. I give links to their web sites anyway.
  • Foreign Affairs - Well argued academic style papers from high end bureaucrats and academics. Political orientations are all over the map, but still credible. These guys are great at polished analysis, but not as good at giving suggestions for the future. Still, I love love love this mag.
  • The Economist - Founded in 1843, this is a great balance of news, politics, economics and business. Written anonymously for some odd reason.
  • Harvard Business Review - Gold standard for general business subjects. Organizational design, leadership, IT, strategy, marketing etc.
  • Sloan Management Review - MIT's attempt at having it's own Harvard Business Review. Lots of good stuff that the HBR doesn't get to, and a bit more of a techie focus.
  • Guitarist - Because at the back of it all, I'm still a guitar geek and I love reading about all the latest models.
Journals
I like reading academic journals, I got a taste for it in business school and now I'm hooked. I've found that the difficult part about reading specific journals is that much of the time you're flipping through stuff that you don't care about. Plus, subscribing to individual journals only gets you data once in a while. This is where searchable aggregators are handy.
  • The Association for Computing Machinery - Lots and lots of papers by academics around the world. Much of it concerns technology that I'm not interested in, but there's more than enough that's pertinent or interesting to me. Some of the journals I follow more closely include:
    • ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems (JETC)
    • Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)
    • ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (TACO)
    • ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
    • ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS)
    • ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM)
    • ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB)
  • The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - Similar to the ACM, just different articles. The most shockingly confusing and poorly designed web site in computing history, but that's fairly predictable give academic focused web sites in general. In here, the journals I like are:
    • IT Professional
    • Digital Information Management
    • Internet Computing
    • IEEE Software
    • IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management
  • The National Bureau of Economic Research - If you want to read really detailed papers about finance or economics subjects ranging from the relationship between sub prime mortgage structures and the current financial crisis, to the effects of migration on 16th century European economies, this is your Disneyland. I love this stuff.
  • Oxford Economic Papers - More economics, if a bit esoteric. I probably read this one because it comes out of my school more than anything else.
Technology Blogs
I read a ton of stuff via Google reader, which is a very nice RSS aggregator. Some of this stuff is questionably accurate or researched, and at times is little more than opinion. At the same time, a lot of cutting edge thinking is going on in these forums, so I like to follow it. The web sites for some of these blogs are listed below.
Online Newspapers
This is where I get my day to day updates or take brain cool-down breaks at work.
MSNBC - Meat and potatoes, basic reporting. This is where I go for the quick "what's up" in the world or if I want 10 minutes of light reading.
The Financial Times - I go here for business and economics stuff, again if I'm looking for a quick update. This is the UK gold standard business newspaper. I particularly enjoy their economist's forum.
The Wall Street Journal - The US version of the FT. My father in law once commented that the best thing about the WSJ was the editorials, and I must admit somewhat guiltily that I don't use the journal for much else. I love to see how the well informed part of the right wing think, and these editorials are a good source for that.
Le Monde - The big French national newspaper. If I'm going to France anytime soon and trying to brush up on my French, I'll read this for a few days. I also read this to try and understand what it is that French people actually think. I've had limited success here.
El Pais - This is the Spanish version of Le Monde for my purposes, but probably also for a lot of other people as well. Spanish politics has never really interested me enough to follow it closely, but I do like being able to talk to my Spanish friends about it.
The Seattle Times - Not much global substance, but this paper keeps me up on the minor goings on back home.


share this via facebook

No comments: