Friday, December 19, 2008

Oxcam Revisited

Now I am a member of the Oxford and Cambridge club.  For the price of an Oxford MBA, a new members' night spent chit chatting and wrangling for two signatures, and 90 quid/month, I am now a member.  Is this a good thing?  Would they let in anybody with an oxcam degree and a pulse?  I don't want to consider these points.  I stopped by the night before last and had a glass of port while I read a weird old book on the Celts of England sitting in a red leather chair by the fire in the library.  It was peaceful in there, and I daydreamed that a few old members were looking at me, saying, "well at least this yank is interested in weird old books, even if he is just an MBA... what the hell, let's give him a chance".  This club isn't posh like the RAC, and it isn't political like some others, and it certainly isn't hip, it's simply a place where old geeks like to geek on old books in silence with their drink by the fire.  Or at least that's the way that I like to think of it.  I've come to accept that Oxford people are going to always be intimidating to me, and that's fine, I'm happy being the little fish.  

Why do I like these old books?  They reflect back to me in waves with the aggregate glow of every eye that ever looked down into them.  I like this, it makes the fire seem very simple.


share this via facebook

No comments: