Saturday, October 14, 2006

10.14.06 matriculation

“In the English universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, the term is used for the ceremony at which new students are entered into the register (in Latin matricula) of the university, at which point they become members of the university. Oxford requires matriculands to wear academic dress with sub-fusc during the ceremony.  At Oxford and Cambridge matriculation was formerly associated with entrance examinations taken before or shortly after matriculation, known as Responsions at Oxford and the Previous Examination at Cambridge, both abolished in 1960.”

-“Matriculation” Wikipedia16 September 2006

 

Aug 169

I just love this picture

 

The Rundown

This was a pretty cool day.  After all the study-kookery of last week and the predictable whoopitup of MBAs on the Friday night prowl, today’s activities were pretty distinctive.  I finally wore my subfusc officially for the first time, and got to be in my matriculation ceremony at the Sheldonian Theater.  A (fairly shitty) photo journal of the The Sheldonian Theater (Theatre)highlights is at the end of this post.  The day started early, as I had to be up, showered, dressed, out the door, across the meadow and at Merton by 8:20 AM.  My bow tie tying skills were certainly put to the rush test this morning, but I guess I did OK, it didn’t fall off at any point.    Then, all the freshers posed for a group picture (just like in elementary school) in the front quad.  Next, we were carefully roll called by a fellow of the college.  This is a big deal apparently, because if you don’t get on his list on matriculation day, you aren’t officially in the university, and have to go through what was described as “all sorts of trouble”.  I made sure I got on the list.  Next, we all got to wear our “mortar boards” (square hat) as we walked from Merton to the Sheldonian.  The background here is that even though you have to wear subfusc for every written exam, you are not allowed to wear your hat except for Matriculation and Graduation, even though you are required to carry the damn thing with you!  Funny funny rules.  This scene was kind of neat: thousands of students in subfusc marching through the foggy AM streets of October Oxford.  Next, we filed into the theater, sat down, and waited for the officials to come in and run the ceremony.  Some bored looking professors in robes sat down on the main floor in fancy chairs.  After a few minutes, some guys in even fancier robes walked in holding these big golden staff things, and one went up to the (very fancy) podium.  One robed dude on the main floor said a bunch of stuff in Latin to the the guy up on the podium, who in turn replied in Latin, they both took their hats off to one another, and podium dude gave a short speech.  Apparently, floor guy was asking podium dude if he would let us into the university, and podium dude said “sure”.  Then, we got a brief lecture about working hard, being welcoming and tolerant of people from diverse cultures, and podiumdude/floorguy split with an appropriate degree of pomp and circumstance.  All done!

 

The Schmaltzy Part

I’ve been dreaming of coming to this University for years, ever since Reba and I stepped out of Holywell Street onto Broad Street and first saw the Sheldonian way back in 2002 on our first England vacation trip.  It has this massive stone and iron fence around it, with these big sort of classical Greek stone heads on the tops of the stone fenceposts.  The heads stare out at you with this fairly heavy look, like you’d seriously better have your shit together if you think you’re coming to matriculate or graduate here (both ceremonies occur in this building).  I was so blown away by the building, I immediately felt this longing to come here.  Of course, Oxford itself, the colleges, the history and everything else about this place just added to the pull, but it was those heads that first hooked me.  After all the time that’s passed and crazy stuff that’s happened in my personal and professional life since first meeting those heads: the growth and erosion of my career at wamu, the loss of interest in rock, the decision to reinvent my professional life and to start over in a new country, the gmat summer, the application fall, the weekend trips to England, the acceptances, the news breaking to friends and family, the Tasha meltdowns, the farewells and parties, the 1st summer vacation in 19 years, the trip with mom, the settling in, and the first week of class… I was semi-blown away to find myself finally marching into the Sheldonian.  Sitting there with a ton of bored and hung over freshers, the vibe in the room as the Chancellor (I think that was who podium guy was) was a little tense, but mostly the atmosphere said “yawwwwwn”.  Not for me though, I felt like I crossed a threshold sitting in that room.  Listening to that guy on the podium, I felt this shudder of emotion run right up my back and into my head and out to my eyes.  Today I sat in the Sheldonian Theater at Oxford University, a member of Merton College and the Said Business School, and was accepted in.  Tucked away in the combined drone of the Chancellor’s speech, the creaking of students shifting their weight on uncomfortable benches, and the whispered chatter of bored undergraduates, I sat quiet on one of the happiest days of my life, tears running down my cheeks.

 

 

Sheldonian_Theatre2

heads at the Sheldonian

 

 

Aug 138

 up at 7:30 to dress and make it to Merton by 8:30

  

Aug 139

a pretty walk across Christ Church Meadow in the foggy AM

  

Aug 151

meeting at Merton

 

Aug 162 

walking with the freshers (Greg pictured here) across town

 

Aug 164

more walking

 

Aug 165

and some more

 

Aug 171 

porters letting us into the Sheldonian

 

Aug 174

that’s a lot of black and white outfits!

 

Aug 178

we all come pouring out

 

Aug 179

the streets fill with newly matriculated freshers


share this via facebook

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

explain "subfusc" please

Anonymous said...

1. Who's the hottie touching her lip in the 2nd to last picture?
2. Get David to help with your tie skillz.
3. Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed that we didn't go to the "Sexy Subfusc" party...damn.....