Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Spinal Tap!

We saw Spinal Tap tonight. If you haven't heard of them, just read this and then come back to the blog. They weren't exactly great, but considering they're only doing 2 shows on this tour, and the fact that they're a joke band anyway, it probably doesn't matter. They had Greg Bissonette on drums, which was cool since the last time I saw him play was in 1987 when he was drumming for the David Lee Roth Band.
On the positive side, it felt like I'd ticked another box on the list of things I need to do in life regardless of just how amazing the actual experience is... like climbing the Acropolis, seeing Bruce Springstein play "Born to Run", or doing Tequila shots at Cabo Wabo. I'm still working my way up to that last one. They were also funny, which is pretty much required from a band like Tap.
On the negative side, they're not really very good, their non-hits are seriously NON, and oddly, they're not loud! For the band that gave us the concept of an amp that "goes to 11", and stood on stage in front of 4 full Marshall stacks with two extra heads, they were pretty quiet. I saw Dinosaur Jr a few months back and with 3 Marshall stacks their guitarist nearly melted my eardrums.
I suppose it's hard to be super excited about a faux rock band when just last week I saw THE real rock band, ACDC, who still pretty much kick total ass after 36 years. We left a bit early, as they broke into some jam session with some local UK rock star sitting in on keyboards and we didn't know/care who he was. We wanted to beat the crowd to the tube anyway. All in all, a fun night, and I have new black t-shirt!

share this via facebook

No comments: