Tuesday, April 04, 2006

04.03.06 Balliol says no!

I've been waiting to find out what college I got into. I wrote a bit about these in an earlier post. The good news is that as a grad student, at least one college HAS to take me. :) For undergrads, it's a whole different story: they get accepted to colleges, and thereby the University. So, if there isn't a college that likes them, tough na-nas, you don't get into Oxford. There is a big ancient complicated hierarchy to the relative statuses of Oxford colleges, as with most things in the UK (apparently). I really don't know the whole story, but do know that people who go to Christ Church tend to be wealthy, aristocratic, and bound for the higher levels of UK government. Apparently, Balliol, Merton, Magdalen College, New College, and St John College all fall into the same bucket. I had applied to Balliol, and Merton (you only get two choices on the online application), basically because they were two of the oldest colleges. It's honestly pretty hard to figure out which college I would prefer more, and in some ways, since I won't be studying in the college, won't be living there, and will only be at Oxford for 1 year, it's really not as big a deal as it would be if I was an undergrad. Balliol did sound pretty cool, if for no other reason, because they have a drum set in the school music room. I may be a lousy drummer, but I like playing them... so I listed them as choice #1.

In any case, I got rejected from Balliol... apparently there is only room for one MBA student at Balliol, and I am not going to be it. I found this out when I called the school to see what was up with the college application process. Bear in mind, this has nothing to do with getting into Oxford (for me) because as a grad student, I get in via the business school, not through a college. The woman I spoke to at the school said that if I got rejected from Balliol, I was likely to get rejected by Merton, Magdalen College, New College, and St John College too. Basically, they figure if I'm not good enough for Balliol, I'm not good enough for them either. Since Merton was choice #2, I'll probably get dissed by them too. :( Oh well.

So, she recommended choices in less popular schools, including Brasenose, Exeter, Hertford, Jesus, Queens, St Hughs and Worcester. St Hughs and Worcester are fairly new colleges, so I figured they're not for me, since I want to belong to a college that's got a lot of history. Being an atheist, as well as a Northwest sweaterpunk/whateverrocker I just feel weird going to "Jesus" college. Just not me. That's probably dumb, but there it is. Queens is out for similar reasons. :) Brasenose apparently has a nose shaped door knocker for a mascot, and that's pretty cool, so I picked them as my new #1, and put Exeter and Hertford as 2 and 3.

I'm sure that someone will like me! Maybe the nose people. Apparently, at one point, Brasenose dudes wore nose shaped tie pins. That's funny! I guess it doesn't matter a HUGE amount, but nobody likes to get rejected, even me. Oh well, just getting into Oxford is a pretty huge thing in the first place, I never even expected to be accepted, so a little rejection at this point is probably good for me.

Oh yeah, and it looks like my offshore bank account stuff is finally wrapped up: we got the debit cards today. So, we've finally got that part done. Phew.

share this via facebook

3 comments:

Ryan Remains said...

Dude! If you go to Jesus college I'll make you a t-shirt that says "Jesus loves Sicko." Or "Jesus loves atheists." Or "Jesus loves sweaterpunks." Or "Jesus taught Tales from the Birdbath how to rock." The possibilities are endless. Think of the fun!

I could see how that might be weird though.

ean said...

That's cool! That reminds me of when I was in college the first time, all the frat people would wear these sweatshirts with their greek letters sewn on the front. The losers (me and my friends) would get the same sweatshirts, but put in the initials of our bands, favorite hardcore acts, or just nonesense stuff like lambda lambda lambda (revenge of the nerds), etc.

Anonymous said...

This all reminds me of an off-handed, hazy, drunken, new years eve comment one of my college friends made. He was at the nealry-passing-out-but-still-talking-gibberish stage, and he said "Jesus licks it first." My other friend and I looked at each other, and made a pact at that very moment that we would make t-shirts that said "Jesus licks it first." It never happened. But if you get into Jesus College, I'll make one for you.

OK, you didn't get in anyways, so nevermind.