Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Book of General Ignorance (John Lloyd & John Mitchinson)



This book was the result of a trip to Bailey Coy Books in Seattle. They have a small but awesome selection of new titles, I always find myself drooling when I go in there. Basically, this is in the vein of various "factoid books" out there, short little 1-2 page pieces on some element of history, science, etc. In this case, the author focuses on what is generally accepted as common wisdom but in fact, is incorrect. For example: what did feminists do with their bras in the 70's (not burn them), who invented the telephone (not A.G. Bell), what do we use to write on a blackboard (not chalk), who said "let them eat cake" (not Marie Antoinette) and my favorite: what is the number of the beast (not 666!). All those metal kids from the 80's are going to be so disappointed by this book. I must add that after spending a year in the footnoting business (i.e. grad school) I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by the lack of referencing. The authors claim to have the data to back up their assertions, but with a few exceptions, we have to take their word for it. This is a bit disappointing, and as a result I am less likely to whip these particular facts out at any event where academics are lurking... I don't want to get caught out peddling unsubstantiated factoids!





Powered by Zoundry


share this via facebook

No comments: